Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm too old to be single.

So Kimba's got a boyfriend. That's nothing new--she's had pretty steady relationships for the last 3-5 years at least. In fact, she's only had two different boyfriends in all that time. Her current boyfriend's name is Jason. On the extremely rare occasions that he and my brother are in the same room, it gets a little confusing.

Anna started seeing this one guy from her forensic biology class by the name of Tim. Kayla and I call him Twigg, or Twiggler (his last name, or a play on it), since we know too many Tims already.

Then there's me. I haven't had a date that was anything more than platonic in so long a time that it can be measured in years. The last date I had that was even remotely romance-based (read: there was actual kissing and stuff, not just friendly chat) was . . . I don't remember exactly how long ago, but it was with Patrick W, before he went to Vermont on that trip with his local YSA group.

Given this information, imagine my surprise when Anna, the youngest of my two younger sisters, came into the camper this evening waving the black diamond solitaire on her hand. It's interesting, I never knew black diamonds weren't actually black. Anna's is actually a dark purple color. But the ring really suits her.

Yes, my friends, my twenty-year-old sister is getting married--in February. Don't get me wrong, I like Twiggler--he's funny, and makes Anna happy. I was just surprised that Kimba wasn't the one to get engaged first (since I'm nowhere near that stage with any guy I know and Kimba's the next oldest, at twenty-three--twenty-four in September), since she's been with her boyfriend longer. Then again, I know I've heard her say stuff about not getting married while she's in school or something, which seems kinda stupid to me, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, that's the news. My sister's getting married, which is awesome, and I think I'm too old to be single--not that I can do anything about it right now, since I don't know any guys well enough to even consider not being single with them anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Wow.
    Major Wow.
    How long's Anna been dating Tim?
    I wonder if I could talk Steve to flying out and filming stuff at the ceremony/reception. *Then again it'd have to not be the weekend that is the 13 because I'm taking him to Gallifrey One con in LA*
    What happened to Scott that Kimba used to date, the one you got the couch from?
    *Huggles* I know how much it sucks to watch ppl younger than you get hitched *happened a lot in college* It ends up feeling like the universe is somehow playing a joke on you cuz it should be the other way around.
    *Much Love*
    Remember, Could be worse. You're not over thirty n single. You're doing OK. *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record: I'd never heard of a Black Diamond until your post.
    I'm going to go look up pix on Google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's been dating him since the end of this past spring's semester, so some time in April or May. Hasn't been long.

    Scott and Kimba broke up--don't know why. I didn't even know until a month or two after, if what Anna said when she and Jason got together about Kimba being single for months before that is any indication.

    I don't know what exact date. I'll call you this weekend if I have more details. But Anna might already have a photographer (dunno about videographer), since her friend Cashaw does that for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd heard of black diamonds before--but only in Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (Avril Bitra--very greedy character--found an island with a beach full of black diamonds) until very recently when I found out they actually existed. I think it was sometime in the last few years. From what I know, they're the rarest type of diamond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got." (W. L. Bateman)

    Don't be bummed about your sisters' situations. I am the middle child and didn't get married until LAST! But, I didn't take the first one to come along!

    We are going on 22 years and I'm the only one in my family who has not been divorced.

    I also moved from home (Tennessee) when I realized that I would be going nowhere if I stayed there! That none of my goals would be fulfilled.

    I really LOVED living in Maryland and getting together with a group of people that had my same thoughts, beliefs, etc. Getting David was an added bonus. I didn't go there to get married. I went there to grow . . . and it was the best years of my life.

    But . . . you gotta take the steps and not wait for that Knight to come in on that white horse . . . cause it ain't gonna happen.

    I should have sent you an email . . . I'm writing too much.

    Give everyone hugs!!

    ReplyDelete