Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Non-Fiction Works by DSDragon

The following were all done for one class or another during the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school years at Frederick Community College, or for classes from Fall 2013 on at Ashford University.  I don't really feel like digging through old computer files to find essays and such from middle school or high school (or from my earlier semesters at FCC) right now, but I might do that eventually.  The essays are sorted by semester and class.  I will include the teachers' comments at the end of each piece.

Fall 2011

EN102: English Composition and Literature

NOVEL PROJECT: I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, and wrote four different papers on it.

POETRY PRESENTATION: This was a PowerPoint presentation I did on the poem "Spliced Wire" by Jimmy Santiago Baca.

UNDERSTANDING GENRE: We were to describe a photograph involving blackberries (which I have included in the post), and then do something creative related to that photo.  I wrote a poem.

PLAY REVIEW: We were supposed to see the play "American Buffalo" at the Maryland Ensemble Theater, but I could not attend any of the performances without taking time off of work.  I was allowed, instead, to watch the video version, and that is the version I reviewed.

HI101: History of Western Civilization

For this class, we were to choose 2 out of 3 essay prompts and write those essays.  We could have done all three (the third would be extra credit), but after I wrote notes for the third essay, I did not have time to actually write it.  I have included both the first and second essays, but not my notes for the third.

ESSAY #1: Augustus

ESSAY #2: England - I did not find the subjects of either this or the third essay as interesting as the first one, so I did not do as well as I probably could have.

HE102: Nutrition in a Changing World

ASSIGNMENT #1: Personal Nutrition Assessment

ASSIGNMENT #2: Recipe Remake

ASSIGNMENT #3: "Fad" Diet Review - The Migraine Diet

DIETARY ANALYSIS PROJECT: We had to track our eating and exercise habits for a week, and then analyze how healthy we had been based on the nutrients we received, how much fat and calories we took in and used, etc.

EN205: World Literature - This was my favorite class last semester, and I loved writing the two papers that were required, as well as the class discussions.  Out of both semesters this school year, I am most proud of the Comprehensive Research Paper I wrote for this class, as it was a completely new idea, and although I had trouble finding sources to support my thesis, I had a lot of fun writing it.

SHORT PAPER: The Amarusataka

COMPREHENSIVE RESEARCH PAPER: The Odyssey and the Art of War

Spring 2012

I had two classes this semester which did not require any written work: MU118 (Choral Ensemble) and MU151 (Class Piano).  There is nothing I can post for the piano class, but I will eventually be receiving a CD of our choral performances, so I will see what I can do about posting that later.

EN201: British Literature

FIRST PAPER: "The Lady's Dressing Room" by Jonathan Swift

SECOND PAPER: "Sir Patrick Spens" (Scottish Folk Song)

FINAL PROJECT: "The Flea" by John Donne

EN204: American Literature

SHORT PAPER: "A Municipal Report" by O. Henry

MID-TERM EXAM: Feminism

COMPREHENSIVE RESEARCH PAPER: "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" by Langston Hughes - I had a lot of trouble even figuring out what work I wanted to write about for this paper, and by the time I did figure it out, I only had a few days left before the due date.  Therefore, this paper is only 2½ pages long, when the requirement was for 6-8 pages.  I still managed to get a B on it though.

FINAL EXAM: The Individual and Society - I just turned this in the day before I posted it here, so I have not (and probably will not) received any comments on it, nor do I know what grade I received for it.

PH101: Introductory Philosophy - This was an online class, and the instructor did not provide comments for any essays written, just grades.

ESSAY #1: Existentialism - Grade: 100/100

ESSAY #2: Utilitarianism - Grade: 100/100

MID-TERM EXAM ESSAY: Reality - Grade: 145/150

TEST #4 EXTRA CREDIT ESSAY: Contract Theory - I just turned this in a few hours before posting, so I have no grade for it yet.

FINAL EXAM ESSAY: Truth - Like the Extra Credit Essay, I just turned it in a couple hours before posting, and have no grade to share.

Fall 2012

EN203: American Literature

SHORT PAPER: Why Not? Equality in Two Lines

MIDTERM: Combining Religion with Secularism and GettingAmericans

FINAL: TheEvolution of a Concept: Freedom

LAR101-1: Introduction to Arabic - There were no essays for this course, only a project which I will not post here, because it is a huge PowerPoint file.

Spring 2013

EN216-ONL1: The Short Story

Essay One: Initiations

Essay Two: Compare and Contrast

EN224P: The Graphic Novel

Journals

Literary Analysis - Subtle is Better: Feminism in Comics

People and Trends - Reviving a Trend

SSR Response - “The Sky is Falling!”: A response to In theShadow of No Towers by Art Spiegelman

Critical Lense - Not Understanding, but Appreciating, the Father: APostmodernist Perspective on Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by AlisonBechdel

End of curriculum at Frederick Community College--A. A. degree in English/Literature received June 2013.

Beginning of online curriculum from Ashford University--Credits transferred from Frederick Community College and applied toward B.A. degree in Applied Linguistics.

Fall 2013

PSY202: Adult Development and Learning

Considering the Present

Looking Toward the Future

Spring 2014

SOC120: Introduction to Ethics and Social Responsibility

The Ethics of Gambling

ANT101: Cultural Anthropology

Tattooing in American Penitentiaries and Malaysia

BUS308: Statistics for Management - No papers yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment