Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

What an Awful Time to Be Sick

Yup, I'm sick. Which sucks, because that means I can't even go to the temporary manual labor agency right now. It started Monday night, when I kept sneezing and had a really stuffy nose that wouldn't go away. I also had trouble practicing my trumpet without getting dizzy (though I made it the full 30 minutes), so I've decided to amend my first New Year's resolution to include the words "health permitting."

Tuesday morning, I got a phone call from the temp place (I hadn't even gone in to say that I was available) asking if I wanted to drive for the company I drove for the first day I worked for the temp place. My head was so fuzzy, what with the stuffy nose, clogged and ringing ears, and overall blah-ness that I doubted I would be alert enough to drive my own car, much less someone else's expensive company car. So, I had to turn the job down.

Before I went to sleep the night before last, I took some NyQuil, because I wasn't getting any better--in fact, it seemed worse than the day before. I briefly woke up around 1:30 or 2:30 (can't remember which), took another dose, and then went back to sleep until 4:00.

I could've slept longer, but I wanted to actually do something besides sleeping that day, so I went downstairs and got some beef stew before coming back up here to read. Then a little later, when Anna came back from Mom and Dad's house, we watched the first episode of Birds of Prey (I'd NetFlixed the entire series, and the first disc came in the mail a few days ago). By that time, Tim was home, so we watched Good Eats and Unwrapped before they went to bed.

I was still pretty awake at the time, so I watched the rest of the disc, plus the little Gotham Girls cartoon that was on the disc as well. Then I came upstairs, read a little bit more, and went to sleep.

I woke up a little after 1:00 this afternoon, called Bryan to let him know I wasn't going to be playing in the regular Thursday-night Serenity game at the Haven, then called a different temp agency to find out what I'd have to do to be considered for a position they'd contacted me about a week or two ago. I took their online assessments, then called the lady back, and I've got an interview on Monday now.

Now, I just have to find some work tomorrow and Saturday--probably at the manual labor temp agency--to get some money in order to pay the bills that are due before next Monday. I'll take some more NyQuil before I go to sleep tonight, and hopefully that will help me to feel well enough to work.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you're sick. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. (You know me, totally empathize with the sick since I can't get this whatever to go away and it's been here in some form or another since before Thanksgiving).

    I hope you're feeling better soon. I know you don't have medical insurance ... do they have any free clinics in Frederick? (I never found any when I lived there but maybe that has changed?)

    Totally suggesting the Chicken Soup. If you're like me and have lazy days (moments, years) you can buy some Swanson's chicken broth, pour it into a mug and microwave it. Great way to get something hot into your system to help unclog the nose. (Might wanna add some seasoning to it as straight broth is kinda nasty - to me). (Also, last time I couldn't breath, Steve suggested Tabasco or Wasabi to clear the sinuses).

    Are you running a fever? (I always know there's more of an issue if I take the Nyquil and it doesn't let me sleep for more than three or so hours at a time cuz typically that stuff knocks me off my feet for six to eight hours at a stretch).

    Also, a friend of mine stumbled upon a really cool recipe for soup that boosts the immune system. (It's this mix of chicken and pork). If you like both those elements (I'm not a fan of pork products) I could see if she'd loan me the recipe so I could send it to you. (Sounds like it's worth a shot cuz she was feeling horrible and decided to make homemade chicken soup - she's a chef by training and by nature - and ended up thawing a pork chop and a chicken breast and went ahead and made the soup anyways and said it was amazing. Plus she gave some to a friend who was ill and they got on the mend rather quickly).

    Just some thoughts. Lemme know how you're doing and if you want the recipe.

    Love to you.

    H.

    ReplyDelete