Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lots of Thinking

Tuesday I did end up going to the Haven, and I watched Gene and Steve play Warhammer for the fantasy campaign that's going on. They didn't finish until about half an hour after closing time, but it was so fascinating that I didn't feel like going home until they were done. I've watched bits of two different other Warhammer games since then, and I think I might want to learn the game. But I won't buy an army for myself unless I really get into it--and then, only a few years or so down the road. Until then, I'll just use the armies they have at the store for club use.

Last Saturday, I went to Allegheny Optical and got my eyes checked. I found out that it'd been four years since my last eye exam. It's funny--I never realize how long it's been between exams until I put on/in my new prescription in the optometrist's office. I put in those new contacts, and everything was much, much sharper. It made me realize that having trouble reading road signs from the short distance I'd been having trouble at was not normal. I've resolved to go to the optometrist at least once a year from now on, or at least listen and schedule further appointments as recommended, instead of waiting for the money to be there and then scheduling the appointment. I also got a new set of frames. They're like the frames I had two prescriptions ago (which I still have), but they're copper-y colored, instead of gold.

Kayla's currently in Alabama, visiting her family, so when she gets back this weekend there will be two episodes of Pushing Daisies and Red vs. Blue: Reconstruction to watch--much fun! I have yet to get caught up on Psych, Numb3rs, Bones or Smallville though. I'm thinking I'll just catch them on Sidereel later. I've also not yet finished watching my MacGyver DVDs--I've been in the middle of season 4 for at least a month and a half. Plus, I want to re-watch at least seasons 6 and 7 of Buffy and seasons 4 and 5 of Angel--I don't remember much about Angel, and I've only seen those seasons of Buffy once, with a few episodes here and there from when Anna and Kayla were going through the serieses.

I've been thinking too, that I might give up on re-reading the core DragonLance novels--I've been in the middle of Dragons of Winter Night for months now, and I've only read that much because I needed something to read while I got my allergy shots every Monday.

BUT! A girl at the Haven this past Tuesday (not the one with the Warhammer) brought a bunch of books she was getting rid of, and I took 7 or 8 that looked promising (I haven't added them to LibraryThing yet, but I will this weekend), including Sister Light, Sister Dark, which, if I remember correctly, Heather recommended to me a few months ago and sounded extremely intriguing. So, if I do decide to quit on DragonLance, then I'll be reading those books.

Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to catch up and read fast enough to actually make the 50-book goal this year.

2 comments:

  1. SISTER LIGHT, SISTER DARK?????
    My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read that.
    KEEP THAT BOOK.
    It's really old and hard to find.
    Plus if you can find/read White Jenna, the second book in the trilogy then when you come visit you can read my copy of 'The One Armed Queen'. Assuming of course you like the book. If not. No worries.
    One of the things I liked about it personally is that there were three sets of descriptions per chapter. You had the archeologist/modern theory on how life was like in the Dales. Then the religious thoughts on it. And then, the longest set of text per chapter was the story of what ACTUALLY happened.
    *How can someone give a neat book like that away? Boggles my mind. But I'm a bookworm, just like you! * And their loss was your gain. Or I hope you see it that way.
    What other books did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for White Jenna--haven't even heard of it before.

    Other books I got include a collection of writings by Edgar Allan Poe and The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I also got a few books I'd never heard of before, and some I might have heard of, but I'm not sure. I'll add them all to my LibraryThing library this weekend.

    ReplyDelete