Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Art of Culinary Forgetfulness

I packed a lunch yesterday with a sandwich, a soda and an apple, but did not eat the apple, so I put it in the mini-fridge at work overnight.

This morning, I packed a lunch to go with the apple, but forgot it on the kitchen counter, so I was left with only the apple. I decided to go to the Haven on my lunch break again, so I was able to get chips and a Yoohoo to go with the apple.

When I took the apple out of the mini-fridge, it was weird-looking--the skin of the apple had wrinkled up, and it was textured kind of like the tops of the folding tables at church. I thought nothing of it, except that that's probably what happens when an apple is refrigerated, allowed to come to room temperature, and then refrigerated again.

So, I got to the Haven, and bit into the apple--it was frozen! I'd put it on the shelf of the mini-fridge right next to the freezer portion, and I guess it was just too cold there. So, I had a couple bites of frozen apple, a bag of Lays potato chips, and a can of Yoohoo for lunch today.

Hopefully, I'll actually remember my lunch tomorrow--at least I won't have to pack it.

2 comments:

  1. Had it have been me, I'd have bit into the apple and probably broken one of my teeth!
    I suppose frozen is still eons better than rotten, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't frozen solid like ice, but more like a very dense sorbet. It still made my teeth hurt from the cold though.

    ReplyDelete