Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ooh, purdy flowers . . .

After checking the weather, and the hours and entrance fees, I went to the Trompenburg Gardens and Arboretum.  Of course, there was a lot of going up and down the stairs--for breakfast, to get my computer, to put the computer away and have a shower, etc.  Plus, every time I go upstairs, I have to lay down for a bit, because I'm so winded.  But the sinus infection seems to be going away at last, even though the effects still linger.  Right now, it's bark is worse than its bite.  I still have a nasty cough, but I don't have to blow my nose nearly as often as I did even just yesterday.

It took about 45 minutes to get to the arboretum, then I paid my 6 Euros.  I walked to the tea house straight away, because I hadn't eaten since breakfast, and was practically starving by then.  I had a sandwich with salmon and cheese spread, which I think was sort of like a bagel with lox--only the bread wasn't a bagel.  I also had some coffee, which was very tasty.  I think they had real cream or something.

After lunch, I wandered around some more before heading back to the entry building.  There, I bought yet another umbrella (this time, one with a plaid pattern and a slip-on cover which cost 14,95 Euros, so it had better not break in a strong wind) and a small hardcover notebook with a small "map" of Rotterdam on the cover.  There are 54 pictures in the "Vacation in Holland" album on my Facebook profile from the arboretum alone.

Both on the way there and on the way back (as well as during some other walks I'd taken this week) I kept seeing posters for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers LIVE.  These puzzled me, because that particular movie came out ten years ago, so why even try to have a live version so late?  Plus, why only do the second movie in the trilogy?  And how is it live, anyway, when the posters have pictures of the same actors as in the films?  Too bad I couldn't understand all the Dutch on the posters--at least I got a picture of it, so someone might be able to figure it out and tell me eventually.

That was a lot of walking, so I went straight back to my room for a while and just listened to my iPod before coming down to eat something for dinner and posting all the photos and an account of my day.

I don't know whether or not I actually will go to either Arnhem or Volendam tomorrow.  The way I figure it, I believe I have just enough for train fare back to the airport on Thursday morning, plus a bit more to buy gifts for everyone.  I can easily get what almost everyone requested (stroopwafels, cheese and chocolate sprinkles) at the market on the corner after I check out of the hostel.  Besides, I think I've thoroughly enjoyed myself, and every time I add new pictures to the Facebook album dedicated to this vacation, the upload slows down exponentially further than the last time.  There are 273 photos in there, after all.

I almost bought some slippers shaped like wooden shoes for Dylan on Saturday while I was at Madurodam, but he already has slippers, so I decided against it.  Maybe I'll find something at the airport that he'll like, or on the way to Rotterdam Central train station.  I also contemplated the slippers as gag gifts for some of the adults, but also decided not to do that.

1 comment:

  1. The Two Towers LIVE is most likely referring to the Live Symphony Concert. They did one that toured for Fellowship so it's only natural that they'd continue the phenomenon. (I think this came after Star Wars: IN CONCERT was such a success). Basically they show the entire movie (LOTR: Two Towers) and you listen to a live symphony orchestra play the score. It's supposed to be fantastic (but I don't think I'd like it w/out the words).

    ReplyDelete