Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Friday, June 1, 2012

So . . . many . . . STAIRS!

I didn't go to Amsterdam today.

Tell the truth, I didn't even leave the hostel.

I'd done so much biking yesterday, that this morning, I had trouble getting back up to my room after breakfast--I was that sore, and it wasn't just my legs.  Besides, it rained right after breakfast, and I'd forgotten to grab my umbrella while I was getting my suitcase out of the Bug.  I'm not sure I could afford to buy one here, but I'd do it if I was caught out in the rain--and could find a place nearby to buy one.

So, what did I do instead?  I caught up on some reading, of course.  That seems to be the default Darcy relaxation technique, after all.

Anna had told me about the two Sookie Stackhouse novels I hadn't read yet a couple of weeks ago, and I had my Kindle with me, so I downloaded them both.  I just finished the latest one a few minutes ago.  I can't decide whether to a) lament the apparent death of the Sookie/Eric thing (he was sooo much cooler than Bill), or b) cheer on the Sookie/Sam thing Harris has pretty much been setting up since book one.

Talked to Anna on the phone last night, and tried to call Grandma, but I guess she was out or something, since I only got the answering machine.

I'm kind of on the fence about calling Grandma's friend in Hellevoetsluis, even though she's pretty much the only person I actually know in this country.  I mean, it'd be kind of wierd, if she doesn't even know I'm here, to just all of a sudden call up a friend of my grandma's I'd only met once or twice, right?

Tomorrow though, I'll definitely go into Amsterdam, no matter how hard it is to climb the stairs back to my room.  Maybe I'll walk to the train station (it's only about five blocks or so, straight north from here anyway) instead of biking there.  Perhaps, if I feel the need, I can rent a bicycle when I get there--and get a map of the city, since the one I have is only for Rotterdam.

Other places to see this trip include:

  • In Amsterdam
    • The Dam
    • The Anne Frank House
    • The Rembrandt Museum
    • A Canal Tour
  • In the Hague - Maybe I'll just stop here on my way to Amsterdam tomorrow, get two cities done in one go.
    • Madurodam
    • The Arnhem Open Air Museum
    • The Keukenhof
  • The Delta Works in Spijkenisse - would take about an hour by bicycle, and Spijkenisse looks like it's on the way to Hellevoetsluis.  I'm still not sure I'd want to bike that far though.  I still can't find any information about public transportation to either of those places.
  • The Arboretum Trompenburg, which is here in Rotterdam somewhere - Looks like about a 15-minute bike ride, but I think I'll wait until Tuesday, and have lunch in the tea house.
  • Kinderdijk, which would take about an hour and a half, even with public transport.
I still have yet to have a stroopwafel, hot off the press too, so that's still on the list.  There are also walking tours of Rotterdam from the hostel every Wednesday night, so I'm going to try and get to the one next Wednesday, which is the night before I leave.  I have to make sure I have enough time to pack everything back up either before I go to sleep or before I check out.  The IcelandAir website says that particular flight doesn't leave until 2 p.m, and checkout has to be before 11 a.m, so I'll be all right, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment