Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Heather! (And various wedding-like details.)

Today is Heather's birthday! Yay, Heather!

Now, on to our not-so-regularly scheduled blog entry:

Sunday, Anna, Kimba and I went to David's Bridal so that Kimba and I (and Liz F.) could try on bridesmaid dresses. We decided on this dress, with a bolero jacket, in apple for me and Liz and black for Kimba (since she's the maid of honor, and Anna wanted different colors--her bridal colors are black and apple). The jacket only comes in white, since that style's technically a bridal style, but we liked it, since it's an outdoor winter wedding anyway.

Luckily, we were able to pay for and order the dresses in our sizes on Sunday, because the lady who helped us said that delivery time was looking like the end of January. Considering the wedding is February 16th, we'd've been cutting it kinda close if we hadn't bought them there and then. We'll have to go back for first and second fittings--one to have the alterations lady pin them and such, and one to make sure the altered gowns actually fit right.

As an aside, I never really understood the need for more than one bridesmaid--I mean, all the extra ones do is just stand there in their dresses and look pretty, right? The maid of honor at least has some sort of "job" to do during the ceremony. I can understand wanting to appease certain female family members and/or friends, but it's not their wedding anyway.

If/when I ever get married, I'm going to have one bridesmaid, my groom will have one best man, and we will invite our immediate family, specific family members who we are closest to, and our bestest best friends. Everyone else will get announcements only, and possibly invitations to the reception. I'm talking super-duper-small wedding.

Anyway, back on course.

We also got to see Anna in her wedding dress while we were in the shop, since she had just made her final payment on it and had to get the alterations pinned. I'm not going to link to a picture of the dress today, since there's no telling who actually reads this blog, and it's "bad" for certain people to see the dress before the wedding, after all.

Pay day (and the company Christmas party) is tomorrow. Yay! I can finish my Christmas shopping! And start paying off my Discover card (which is how I paid for that gown).

1 comment:

  1. *Huggles* Thanks for the Birthday congratulations!
    That dress is gorgeous! I clicked on the red and it is absolutely amazing and will look totally awesome on you! The Bolero Jacket is nice as well. *Maybe you could email me a link to the wedding gown picture?*
    My B-day was filled with various ups and downs which I will explain later. *I posted on LJ but it's posted as private until I reset my filters to only certain close friends-you included of course*
    I cracked a smile at your wedding plans. What if the groom you choose has OTHER ideas? Or many best friends or many brothers that he wants to include in the wedding? I can see not having a huge ceremony but I think the traditional meaning with the reception is to help the couple kick start their new life together *and sadly gifts are part of that ... cuz most single ppl don't own a vaccum or a plunger and some don't even own an iron and you figure out you need these things when you're suddenly a family of two*
    I thought the point of Bridesmaids was to include your cherished friends in the occasion. Granted, people that have a lot of friends end up either disappointed most of them by exclusion or need to be rich like the girl my cousin married ... they had a black tie wedding with TWELVE bridesmaids and TWELVE groomsmen. I mean normally you tend to think say five is too many but TWELVE? *whistles*
    *apparently that same wedding was the one where my aunt D - really my dad's cousin - asked the bride if her family was Mafia - to which the bride responded 'oh, aunt D, don't worry. Nobody is going to get whacked tonight!' Notice she never actually said 'no' to the question*
    What colors do you think you'd choose for your wedding?
    And since it's an outdoor winter wedding, how do the couple plan on making sure the guests don't freeze their butts off while listening to the vows?

    ReplyDelete