Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Yay DSL!

Well, after nearly 2½ hours (at least half an hour of which was pure frustration), we now have not only our DSL internet set up, but our wireless network as well.

I started out trying to hook up the modem to Stacie's desktop computer, but I couldn't find an Ethernet port. So I took it up to the common room and hooked it up to Kayla's computer, like the old one was. I figure, I'll give Kayla my old computer, then Dad can fix it up for her (I'll pay for a new hard drive, if neccesary) and we'll just keep the modem on the current computer and not use it for anything else. I'll have to talk to Kayla about it.

Anyway, the modem got set up without a hitch after that, so I started trying to figure out how to set up the wireless network.

It took me at least half an hour to find the "site" to go to for configuration (http://dslrouter), but then it asked me for a password. I spent 5-10 minutes trying to guess, with no luck, before I decided to try the verizon.net Live Chat support.

In less than the time it had taken me to find the "site," I was in. It was just a generic administrator's username and password, but it was one I hadn't thought to try.

Anyway, after that, I logged off the chat, set up the wireless network, then connected my laptop to it before I left notes for everyone else about the network name and key.

It's nice to have reliable internet access again.

No comments:

Post a Comment