Yet another journal-type place for Darcy to rant, rave, and/or recuperate from the world.

Monday, January 1, 2007

Second-Year Confessions

Who am I? Well, my name is Raven Smythe, and I am twelve years old.

Last year, the Triwizard Tournament was held at Hogwarts; I entered, but Diggory and Potter got chosen instead.

Yes, that's right. I, a mere first year at the time, entered my name into the Goblet of Fire. How did I get past the age line, you ask? Simple, really. I didn't.

I could have researched over-night, a few methods used to stick one parchment to another and "piggy-backed" my name into the Goblet with an older student's.

But I didn't.

I could have asked an older student to put my name in with theirs, but as I was only eleven at the time, and they seventeen, the thought was quite intimidating. Most of my fellow Ravenclaws tend to be more mild-mannered by nature--I think it comes from all those hours in self-enforced silence during library study--but the older ones were still a bit scary to me.

Meanwhile, I digress.

No, I didn't ask an older student. My plan was much more simple, and since I didn't grow a ridiculous beard or get chosen to compete, no one was the wiser.

I snuck out in the 'tween hours of October thirtieth and thirty-first, creeping as quietly along the stone floors as I could and watching carefully for any sign of prefects, professors, Peeves, or Filch as I walked to the Entrance Hall.

I stopped just outside the Age Line and set the parchment I had prepared earlier on the floor at my feet.

A whispered, "Wingardium Leviosa," and a swish and a flick later, and the Fire in the Goblet had more kindling.

I crept back to the Ravenclaw dormitory, content. At least, if I wasn't chosen, I knew I had accomplished something no one else had--I had bested an Age Line set my one of the greatest wizards in the world.

Who am I? I am Raven Smythe, and I am a genious.

Author's Note: I was re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night, and Raven's scheme came to me quite suddenly. I wrote it down quickly, before I spent hours tossing and turning over it, unable to get to sleep. I hope you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment